Redbridge Library is looking for you! We are currently searching for volunteers to help out at our libraries. Make sure you don’t miss out on this great opportunity to join our exciting and dynamic team!
Do you love working with the public? Do you want to create magical and transformative experiences for our customers? We are looking for sociable and inspirational individuals to help our customers to make the most of their reading experiences.
Redbridge Libraries have a tradition of hosting Reading Groups. We are looking for volunteers to run “Unwind with a Book” Reading Groups. The groups will be actively promoted to people with health problems but are open to everyone. They are read aloud reading groups. We are looking for Reading Group Volunteer Leaders to facilitate participation in these groups, start new groups and promote membership.
All our reading groups have lively discussions and participating is fun and rewarding. The “Unwind with a Book” group will read short stories, excerpts and poems aloud which will promote discussion.
You will support your branch library with the duties outlined below. Are you ready to join in a bold opportunity to help us take your local library to an entirely new dynamic level?
Who are you?
- You enjoy working with people of all backgrounds
- You engage well with others and are passionate about libraries
- You are literate and have a genuine enjoyment for reading
- You have a good command of written and spoken English and possibly other community languages
- You have a sensitive, warm, friendly personality
- You respect the opinions of others and their ability and the speed at which they feel comfortable reading
- You are responsible and dependable, taking pride in your work
- You are a good listener, able and willing to follow directions
- You have excellent communication skills and are able to give instructions in a clear and unambiguous manner
- You are self-sufficient and can work independently, but feel confident to ask questions should the need arise
- You inspire fun in the people around you
- You love your library, wanting to expand and enhance the activities that happen there as well as being an informal advocate of the library within your community
- You’re excited about the opportunity of growing and learning in a fast changing environment
- You are a lifelong learner and are eager to learn new skills and embrace transformative experiences
- You are at least 16 years old. There is no upper age limit for volunteering
A position you will love. As a Reading Group Volunteer Lead, you will:
- Set up the space where the reading group will take place, and help clear it up at the end
- Welcome participants, making sure that new members feel at ease
- Communicate relevant announcements to the group, as instructed by the library staff
- Facilitate the sessions encouraging participation of all the members. Staff will provide guidance and resources to assist you with this
- Liaise with staff to obtain enough copies of the chosen works
- Encourage members to share book reviews. These could be published in the Redbridge i forum
- Promote the group as appropriate, with support from the library staff, to bring in new members
- Be the point of contact for all members and pass their feedback and queries to library staff
- Set up a sensible way to manage the member’s contributions to pay for teas and coffees
Do you have what it takes?
- Able to read and write
- Are passionate about Reading
- Have at least 4-5 hours available a month to plan the group, liaise with staff, choose content and lead the sessions
- Are an energetic person with loads of enthusiasm with an ability to inspire others
We are guided by these shared values:
- Community Improvement
- Pride in Service
- Optimistic attitude – We believe that anything is possible!
Why you should volunteer with Redbridge Libraries?
- You’ll have a fabulous time!
- You will increase your confidence dealing with the public in a professional setting
- You will learn skills around customer care, confidentiality and health and safety
- You will gain valuable experience for your CV and a reference if you volunteer for more than 35 hours
- Personal satisfaction at helping fellow group members to access new literature, discover new authors and develop a new social activity
Anything else you should know?
- You will need to provide the contact details of two referees who are over 18, know you well but are not a member of your family
Where and when you would be volunteering
- You will volunteer at a Redbridge Library running a reading group and offering this volunteering opportunity. Please ask staff for details of programmes taking place in individual branches. If a club is not running at your chosen branch then we are more than happy for you to set one up
- The sessions run fortnightly and last for an hour. You will need to arrive 30 minutes before a club starts to help set up and remain for 30 minutes at the end to help clear up
- All volunteers are placed initially on a one-month trial basis. Volunteers and activities are reviewed every 6 months
How to apply for this volunteering opportunity:
To apply for this volunteering opportunity please contact your local library or email email@example.com
Post Author: Mina Rehman